Monday, March 24, 2014

If you think you can you can!

When I was growing up my mother would always tell me "If you think you can, you can". I have always lived by that quote. She has always been one of my inspirations and motivator for my life. I want to share her story with you.

My mom started having seizures when she was 21. She was in college at the time and it really changed her life. She did not let the seizures stop her from living her life though. During her journey through college she met my dad. They got married and lived life to the fullest. My mom spent years going to doctors all around the country to try and stop the seizures. She ended up finding the Colorado Neurological Institute (CNI). In 1991 they performed a brain surgery on her that removed most of her right temporal lobe. The surgery stopped the seizures, but she had a blood clot on the operating table that paralyzed her on the left side. She was told she would never drive, walk, or have kids. She would not accept that though. She worked hard to be able to use her left side again. In 1992 I was born. I was named Hope because hope means great expectations. That is what my parents now had for their lives and mine.  My mom did learn to walk and drive again. She also learned how to ride a bike again. When I was four my dad was trying to teach me to ride a bike. I told my mom she should ride too. I told her the same thing she had been telling me. "If you think you can, you can." She fell off a lot but always got back up and tried again. She never gave up. in 1995 she had my twin brothers! Then in 1999 my mom Rode the Rockies. This was a bike ride of 437 miles across the Rocky Mountains. She couldn't get on and off the bike by herself. My dad drove behind her the entire way and when she needed help off she would wave him down and he would help her off. In 2008 my mom ran for Colorado's House of Representatives. She was elected and served two terms in this seat. She is still pursuing her dreams to this day.

This is an old picture from my first public speaking event when I was 13. Me and my mom at the 2005 CNI Cindy Acree Hope Awards.

No matter how bad your day gets or how rough the situation is you may be going through there is usually always someone out there that is going through something worse. Always push through even when it is hard to do. Don't let anything stop you from something you are passionate about. You can do anything you put your mind to. Just remember "if you think you can, you can."

I really hope you all enjoy reading my blog. Please leave comments with suggestions and thoughts.
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, and hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein

1 comment:

  1. Hope, we shared your blog on CNI's Facebook. Hope to see you on May 1st!

    ReplyDelete